Installation in the VSTS Developer Edition 2008 doesn't work

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:09 PM
It seems to be a problem installation the plugin in the VSTS Developer Edition (SP1). Our colleagues using the Team Suite get the Toolbar after the installation, but the colleagues with the developer edition don't have either the toolbar nor the additional menue item, while the addin is activated in the Addin Manager.
Has anyone an idea to get the plugin working in the Developer Edition too?

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM
Hello,
I was really struggling with the same effects as you have. With devenv -log I could identify that the addin itself produced an exception during startup. Then I downloaded the source code and loaded the Search Workitems Project to see the reason for my problem. I found some references that could not be found in my dev environment: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.*
This namespace is nothing less than the Visual Studio Extensibility. This means that the Search Work Item Addin will not work without the Visual Studio 2008 SDK installed. As soons as I installed this, the source code did compile and more importantly, the Addin finally worked clean as a whistle.

Visual Studio 2008 SDK to download and install from msdn downloads section:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vsx/bb980956.aspx

Developer
Mar 31, 2009 at 4:19 AM
Hi asttl and Predius,

You definitely do need the Visual Studio 2008 SDK to compile it, but you should not need it to install and run it. I will look into this and release a fix ASAP.

William